This Canadian based company commenced in 2003 and it didn’t take them long to become a global success. POF is a simple, easy to use dating app. It’s perfect for the technically challenged. It takes moments to set up your profile and you’re ready to start flirting and meeting your next date.
POF promotes themselves as the dating site with more dates, more relationships and more visitors than any other. In November, 2013, they added to their dating genre with the acquisition of Fast Impressions, a company that specializes in Speed Dating events throughout Australia and N.Z.
Creating an Account
It’s simple and easy! Fill in the basic questions which are different to any other dating site. An example of this is – describe your personality in one word. They offer a broad, unique list to choose from. E.g. tree hugger, coffee snob, princess or adventurer, just to name a few. Include your longest relationship and compose an attention-grabbing headline to describe yourself. Then move on to provide an overview of yourself as you’re guided with tips from POF on what to write to best highlight your more appealing selling points.
With a range of search functions, POF makes it easy to find people based on your specific needs
- Turn on the location function and you can search those within a defined location or those as close as 500 meters to you. Note, your exact location is never revealed to other POF users.
- Search by a range of other options including user name, age, height, distance and their last activity on the site.
- The ‘Meet Me’ option allows you to quickly and easily flick through profiles. Choose ‘No,’ ‘Maybe’ or ‘Yes’ to a profile image and move onto the next profile. If there’s a ‘mutual yes,’ this will appear under ‘who’ wants to meet you.
- My Matches – are matches that have been selected for you based on your profile selections.
- IPhone, iPad and iPad Touch.
- POF is free to browse, contact other members and chat. You can even choose the ‘date night’ function for free.
- There’s an option to upgrade to obtain access to premium features at an additional cost, enabling functions such as- know when your emails are read, unlock extended profile information, find out when someone viewed your profile, update more images and also to show up first on the ‘Meet Me’ feature.
- POF has the flexibility of setting up and accessing your account online or as a dating app. Or both!
- Date Night – Elect to make your profile available under the ‘Date Night’ section so others searching for a date can see that you’re after a meet up for the following week. This automatically resets every week to ensure that only the profiles of people interested in meeting up that week are displayed.
- The option to select your intentions of being on POF makes it easy to find someone with similar relationship goals. E.g. casual dating with no commitment, actively seeking a relationship, etc.
- ‘Meet Me’ allows you to quickly search through images to find ones that suit by selecting either Yes, No or Maybe.
- Relationship needs assessment is a POF personality questionnaire that, if answered honestly, provides you with a customized assessment of your relationship needs across the following 9 key factors: Interdependence, Self-Efficacy, Communication, Sexuality, Preferred Expressions of Affection, Intimacy, Relationship Readiness, Conflict Resolution and Attitudes about Love. The assessment also provides an action plan of items that you under or over value which are generally hidden from your awareness. Very cool Function! You can also elect to have the test results visible on your profile.
- After meeting with someone, fill in a simple date feedback questionnaire so POF know how they are going with getting the chemistry right.
- There are not many low lights for this dating app – it actually encompasses everything that you could need in a dating app and more. The only low light would be a couple of adverts if you are using the free option.
Plenty of Fish is perfectly designed for those that are not tech savvy. If you’re after a dating app that has a quick and easy profile set up facility that gives you more of an insight into potential matches than just a photo, try fishing on POF; who knows what you’ll reel in.